Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

I love pot pie!  Actually, I love anything that involves gravy.  I also don't mind my food touching each other.  In fact, I'm a fan of the 'perfect bite'!  So if you're like me and love that perfect bite experience, then you will love this recipe.  

This recipe is easy and flexible, especially if you have left over meat and vegetables.   Sometimes I actually make a quantity of roasted chicken or beef roast just so I can make a pot pie out of the left overs.  But even if you're starting from scratch, it's an easy one-skillet prep.  Yummy roasted meat, homestyle vegetables in a pastry crust. 

A note about the crust:  I know there are folks out there, especially bakers, who would never use a premade pie crust.  So if you want to make a scratch crust, go for it.  For me, the premade crust works fine! The key is to use two crusts - a bottom and a top (or a lid as my brother calls it).
Enjoy! 

I will be following with recipes for roasted chicken and turkey, including my mom's famous gravy in the weeks to come!
 
 
Chicken Pot Pie

By Peggy Fonke

  


2 prepared pie crusts - one deep dish and one regular

 2-3 chicken breasts - cooked

1-2 red potatoes – diced

1 small onion – diced

1 cup baby carrots

1 cup green beans

2 cups chicken gravy (canned or left over from roasted chicken)
 
1 TBL worchestershire sauce
 
2-3 TBL sugar
 
pepper
 

1 TBL Margarine or olive oil

 
Sauté carrots, potatoes, onion in a skillet with 1 TBL of Margarine until soft (about 10 minutes). 




Add green beans and sauté another 5 minutes or until tender.

Dice chicken.  Add to  sautéed vegetables
 

Blend in gravy, worchestershire sauce and sugar.

Salt and pepper to taste
 

Pour into pie shell
 

Top with remaining pie crust and seal edges
 

Pierce top crust in several places with sharp knife .  

Place pie pan on cookie sheet

Bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly
 

Let sit 10-15 minutes before serving. 

 

This is ideal for leftover turkey and trimming.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment