Monday, June 3, 2013

Introduction

Hi.  I'm Peggy Fonke.  I'm starting this blog at the suggestion of my daughter.  You see, several years ago, I started creating a family cookbook.  At that time, I had an old, sticky, overflowing recipe box that was impossible to navigate.  I also realized that many of our family recipes were in my head, not written down.  If I were to get hit by a bus, how would the family know how to make our food?   So I started documenting my recipes electronically in a power point document. I upload it on an iPad to use while I'm cooking.  My hope is that the having access to the recipes will inspire my family to love cooking as much as I do.  

It's important to note that I'm not a trained chef.  Far from it, I am an ordinary person (married with children) who happens to love to cook.  I have a day job that I work from home.  But I spent 15 years working outside the home so I know what it's like to be gone all day then have to whip up something for dinner.  

The recipes I use have come from a wide range of sources:  family, friends, Internet search or my own attempt at recreating food I've had at a restaurant or someones home.  Most of my recipes are more like guidelines.  Feel free to tweak things until it looks, feels and tasted right for you.  

I've learned a lot over the years of cooking for my family.  Here is my favorite tip:

Every recipe tastes better if you add a little bit of sugar. Sugar magically compliments and blends all the other flavors.  It doesn't necessarily make it taste sweet, it just makes it taste better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment