Monday, June 17, 2013

Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts 
By Peggy Fonke – Inspired by Parade Magazine  (Nov. 11, 2012) 


I would like to make a confession:  Until recently, I was not a Brussels Sprout fan.  The only way I knew to prepare them was steamed with butter.  I always perceived them to be bitter and nasty.   My husband, on the other hand, loves them  and, to my surprise, so does my vegetable-resistant brother Bob.  So we made a number of attempts at finding a more interesting approach to Brussels Sprouts.  I used the basic structure of a recipe that appeared in Parade Magazine which calls for pan roasting and includes cranberries and walnuts.   I added a light, tossing sauce.  This dish is light with a nice balance of sweet, tangy and sprouty.   I am now a Brussels Sprouts convert.  I have even served them at a dinner party!  Never thought I'd see the day!

Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
By Peggy Fonke – Inspired by Parade Magazine  (Nov. 11, 2012)

½ - 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts – try to get the small ones -   trim and cut in half (if larger ones, quarter)
2-3 TBL oil (vegetable or canola)
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup dried cranberries
Tossing sauce:
1 TBL olive oil
2 TBL red wine vinegar
2 TBL honey
1 TBL sweet red pepper/chili sauce (found in asian food aisle)
Salt and pepper to taste
 In a large skillet, heat oil. 
Meanwhile, whisk sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside
Into hot oil, add cut brussels sprouts and stir fry for about 5  minutes until cut sides start to brown.  (there should be enough oil to coat sprouts without leaving excess in pan)
Toss in walnuts and stir fry for about 1 minute
Toss in cranberries and stir fry and additional minute.
Continue cooking mixture until sprouts are desired tenderness (just a minute or two more).
Transfer mixture into a serving bowl. Add desired amount of sauce and toss until well coated.
Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment